Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Vilpamolan Coast > Pirate Haven of Vilpamolan > Trauma and Rebuilding [P/R]
Simone

Character Info
Name: Simone Terrowin
Alignment: CN
Race: Night Phoenix
Class: Songstress/Novel Writer
Silver: 13883
Rebuilding their world was… unique. The moment the bounties dropped there were just a few loose ends to clean up. Once they did that it was trying to get the materials around for the houses that burnt. The assassins they killed Simone and Lewis managed to almost loot. Trying to recoup the losses for the houses. They wanted to rebuild them just the way they bought them. The Vilpamolan house was first since it was their first hideaway.

However, getting builders inside Vilpamolan not to swindle her… was something unique. So Lewis and Simone decided they would do it themselves with Kalina’s assistance. Right now Mone was tossing a dagger up and down, “Just because we’re retired doesn’t mean we lost our edge.”

“That’s the only reason people retire,” the man huffed at her. “Five hundred.”

“That’s triple the cost and you know it.”

“What you gonna do about it?”

Simone had been watching the merchant write and she put the dagger into his other hand. The man was screaming, “That. To your good hand. I told you we didn’t retire because we lost our edge. We have a family to think about and you are getting in the way of it.” She took the dagger and twisted it.

“OKAY OKAY. Let’s call it good at one hundred and fifty pieces! FOR GODS SAKE JUST TAKE IT OUT,” the man was whimpering as Simone took it out and wiped it off on a handkerchief she had with her.

“Goodness, do you know how hassle free this would be if you didn’t try and swindle me?” Her gray eyes looked up at the merchant and she gave a smile. “I do expect all the building materials to be there at the residence by end of day. Do we have an understanding?”

“I don’t kno–”

“Do. You. Understand?”

“Ye-yeah.”

“Good, I’ll give you half now and half when you finish delivering. If you try and swindle us anymore I’ll be removing things from your home to build mine… Sound like a good trade?”

“Absolutely. I understand,” the man had shrunk back down.

Honestly, the people in Adeluna were way more eager to help us because they felt bad. Simone handed the money over and started on her way back to the burnt down house. They had managed to clear most of it with just the basement left to be built back up on. It was stable and that was a good sign.

Her ears twitched in a direction. I’m taking a detour. Her skin was lightly pricking up at the magic floating in the area. It shouldn’t have bothered her but something compelled her to go into the alleyway. It wasn’t that she felt like she was in trouble but… Someone else was.

There was screaming and crying. “Please, kill me but not my kids.” She could hear the mother sobbing and kids crying and panicking.

“Fine, I’ll just kill you and sell the brats off. This is what you get for owing us.”

Simone was in a half sprint as soon as she heard the words she was too late as saw the mother fall and a man jump on her to stab her repeatedly. “Hey, fuck head.” She surprised the man as she took a nearby brick and smashed his head with it.

Lewis, third alleyway in then take a left.

The man fell over unconscious and she ran over to the mother picking her up. “Hey, hey!” Simone was trying to get a pulse off the elf. Blood was getting all over Simone but once she determined she couldn’t resuscitate her she frowned and closed the woman’s eyes.

Laying her down Simone looked at the kids. They were backed into a corner holding each other and scared. Their hair was red like fire and they had the softest shade of brown eyes even if they were terrified. They looked like the boy was seven and the girl was barely maybe four.

“Hey,” Simone took off her cloak to get rid of the blood on her and she came over to them. They backed up just a bit more. “I’m not going to hurt you I promise. My name is Simone. What’s yours?” She was attempting to be warm in a time when they needed it most.

“Ju-Jules…” The boy answered her before Simone nodded towards the little one hugging him. “And Corrine…” In a splash of magic she had a clean cloak appear. It spooked the kids and she held it out. “You both are cold. This will warm you up.” The children let her put the cloak around them and she looked at the man.

“Are you going to ki-kill us too?”

“No, we’re going to take you home… You have a home right?”

The kids shook their heads. “They bu-burned it.”

“Because your mother owed?”

“No, our father gam-gambled. He lost it.”

“Do you have any family other than them?” The two once more shook their heads no and Simone frowned a bit.

“It’s started to rain.” She pulled the cloak over the heads. “My husband is coming okay? He’s going to help.”

The man started to come around, “You stupid bitch.”

“I would stay where you are if I were you,” blood thirsty eyes turned towards him. “We’re going to need information on who is after these kids.”

“You can have it in hell,” he started to get up and lunge at Simone.

Dusk

Character Info
Name: Lewis Terrowin
Class: Ex-Assassin
Silver: 5996
Lewis was doing his best to try and help build up the house, but it seemed like everyone on the Vilpamolan Coast was against it. Not to mention, as an ex-assassin, his role had very little to do with his ability to use brute strength, and more played on his patience and timing, as well as deadly aim. Many of those talents did not translate well into house building. So when Simone gave him directions, he was more than willing to ditch the rather arduous task he had been given, following up the lead he was given.

Lewis came around the corner just in time to see the man attempt to lunge at Simone and two children. Without a word, Lewis threw a dagger straight into the center of the lunging man’s hand. At once, the man cried out, grabbing at the dagger, his eyes filled with rage. He looked to see Lewis, who was now running towards him.

“You bast-” the man tried to swing the dagger at Lewis, but was easily disarmed and thrown against a wall in short and swift motions. “W-what the hell!? They said you lost your edge! They told me the Dusk Assassin was no more!”

“Even if those rumors were true,” Lewis said with a forceful twist, causing the man to cry out in pain. “What makes you think a small time slave trader like yourself could match even the lowest of assassins?” The ex-assassin’s eyes went to the mark on the man’s arm, a rather telling tattoo. “Not even a ranking member, are you? That’s why you’re on the lower rungs, and collecting. Means no one will miss you.”

Lewis glanced back at the kids who Simone was protecting, and looked back to the man in his grasps. “Let’s go for a walk, shall we…?” With surprising force, Lewis marched the man deeper into the alley.

Take them somewhere safe and get them a meal. I’ll be back soon.

Simone

Character Info
Simone nodded and pulled up the kids. She took both of them into her arms and she smiled down at them, “You are going to a tavern with me okay? Just until Lewis is done doing what he needs to do.” She was soft with them as she took them into one of the taverns she knew they wouldn’t find her trouble. “Can you get some food for the kids? Do you have towels I can borrow? I’ll pay extra. Hot milk too.” She got the towels and started to dry them off. “You both are the same sizes as some of mine… I’m pretty sure I have some dresses still from when Fiori was little.” She made a face.

Jasper walked in and Simone glared, “YOU.”

“SIMONE!” He almost jumped back.

“Come here now.”

Jasper slinked over, “I haven’t done anything wrong have I?”

“No, can you watch these two? If even a single hair is out of place when I come back… I’ll skin you alive and make sure you live through it… Do we have an understanding Jas?” She smiled. “You do sound better without that accent…” She gave the telltale clue that Lewis was listening as she gated away.

It only took her a few moments before she portaled back in with clean clothes. Borrowing the backroom she got them dressed and brought them back out. They were traumatized she could tell but who wouldn’t be. “I know it’s hard but try and eat sweet ones.”

“Another adoption?” Jasper was trying not to get killed at this point.

“Someone just killed their mother in front of them,” she commented in a whisper. “We stopped him from taking them but…” Simone was worried and Jasper was thrown off by how motherly she was being. “Get lost, Jasper.”

The kids devoured the food and Simone called for more when the boy didn’t appear full. “I ca-can’t. What if you need your money.”

“Sweetling don’t you worry about our coin.” She reached over and pet his head with a smile. “Just eat until you are full okay? Don’t make yourself sick though.”

Dusk

Character Info
About ten minutes later, Lewis walked into the tavern. There was an aura of calm about him, despite the looks that were shot his way. He was still famous in Vilpa. It was a very complicated situation overall. Some thought that he was weak for retiring so early, that something had happened and that he had lost his edge. Others believed that the last job he did, combined with the three months of evasion while having one of the highest bounties out on him made him nigh untouchable. All of this resulted in roughly the same amount of treatment when it came to the looks he got.

Lewis sat at the bar and ordered a drink, ignoring the stares. He took a swig, and to most, it seemed as though he were just sitting there. To those who knew Lewis and Simone, though, they were in an in depth conversation involving what had happened to the kids.

It wasn’t a simple hit, like initially thought. The family was in a deep debt to one of the lower class gangs that ran the area. There was a massive bet on Lewis, and their father had put everything on the line. And by everything, he put everything into the pot. His house, his coin, his wife, and his children. The end result was that he lost his life, and the lives of his wife and children belonged to the gang.

Of course, the mother had fought tooth and nail against it, and even tried to negotiate with the gang members. At first, she tried selling herself to pay off the remaining debt, but with two children, it was nearly impossible, and in the end she went to beg for her life. It was at that point that Simone had gotten involved.

In the end, I feel…almost responsible for it. It was weird coming from Lewis, but after seeing something like this, he was starting to realize that there had been far wider repercussions about what they had done. Let’s try to calm them down, and see if they don’t have any other family around here. They’re lucky enough not to have been branded, and from what I got from the thug, they don’t know what the kids look like, so they’re probably safe for now.

The whole situation was complicated. “Another,” Lewis said as he passed the empty pint.

Simone

Character Info
Simone frowned greatly as she learned why the kids’ lives had been turned upside down. It’s not your fault that the husband sold off their lives. If anything he is scum. He’s just one more reason to hate people more than we do. The most we can do for these kids now is to make sure they are safe and taken care of… To repay their mother. She did what I have done… but she was successful. My heart is sad but also I am glad these kids are alright, at least physically.

“Why are you sad?” The little girl looked up at her finally talking after drinking the warm glass of milk.

“I’m sad because I feel bad for you both but I am glad I could help you. I am sad because I couldn’t save your mom,” Simone was gentle as they looked at her with tears in their eyes. “I’m sorry to bring it up…”

They wiped the tears from their eyes and Simone smirked. Strong kids but she could tell there would be issues. “Are you sure you have no other family?”

“We have our uncle but he is a pirate,” the boy spoke up and took his sister’s hand. “Momma never let him come around and said he was bad news before Father would…”

“Your father beat your mother?” Simone knew it was common as the kids nod. “That’s no good at all. Besides your uncle who else?” The kids shook their heads.

“Alright…” She took a breath. “We can look into if you have any relatives for you… but you can stay with us until we figure it out.” The kids looked scared but Simone smiled. “We have kids your ages and they like to play.”

“How many?”

“We have ten but some of them are older and the youngest isn’t born yet.”

“You aren’t pregnant,” the son was bold and Simone laughed a bit.

“I can’t have children,” Simone gave a smile as the son sunk down into his seat ashamed. “We adopt kids like yourselves. It’s okay you didn’t know.”

“You do?”

“Yes, our son Lucas was a slave to pirates before he came with us.”

"Your house must be cramped," the boy crossed his arms.

"No, everyone has their own rooms. We have a big house," Simone chuckled a bit and could see them trying to act normal not knowing how to process their grief. "We don't live in Vilpamolan at least not all the time."

Their eyes got wide, "You have lots of houses?"

"One in each city," Simone nodded. "My husband Lewis used to work in Vilpamolan and he's recently retired. So we can spend more time with our kids."

"You… You like your kids?"

"We love our kids." That seemed to make the kids reflect on things.

Dusk

Character Info
Lewis finished his second drink and paid the bartender, who merely stared at the coin as the ex-assassin walked away. He walked right up to Simone and the kids, and smiled as he knelt down.

Despite already knowing their names, he reached out to the boy’s head in order to ruffle his hair, trying to ask their names. Jules flinched at the motion, and Lewis paused. “I won’t hurt you,” Lewis said with a surprisingly warm tone. “What are your names?” It was good to let them have the autonomy, and he backed off from touching Jules.

“J-Jules,” the boy replied. He seemed intimidated by Lewis, and stepped in front of his sister.

Simone chuckled, “What a brave boy you are, but it’s okay. This is my husband, Lewis.”

Jules was a little on guard still, but he seemed to relent at the statement that Lewis was with Simone. There was a moment of silence, and the girl decided on her own to speak up, still behind Jules. “Corrine. My name is Corrine…” It trailed off, almost as if she were scared to have done something so bold.

“Jules and Corrine,” Lewis repeated as he stood up. “Let’s get going then. Two of our kids are helping at the house we’re rebuilding. We can introduce you to them. There’s a boy, and a girl just like you two, though they aren’t siblings.” Lucas and Ezili had been a godsend when it came to building the house. Lucas had done an immense amount of research on the subject in a short amount of time, and Ezili was more than willing to use her water magic to help with cutting stone.

Lewis and Simone lead the two kids out of the tavern and down the street, and soon they were back at the worksite. Lucas was the first to notice that they had returned, and ran up to greet them. At once, he noticed the two kids between Lewis and Simone, and his smile widened.

“Why hello there,” Lucas said as he knelt down to the kids. “And who might you two be?” Ezili was not far behind.

Simone

Character Info
Simone offered her arms to Corrine but Jules came to. There was a chuckle from her as she wrapped her fresh cloak around them both and picked them up. They were small enough from not enough food that it was easy for her to do it.

Lewis took off his shroud and put it on Simone pulling up the hood, “It’s raining and you don’t need a cold.”

“Yeah, yeah I know…” She smirked a bit as he kissed her cheek. “Let’s go.”

Ezili let out a wheeeee as she sent the raindrops like knives through stone and wood, “Look at me, Lucas!” She twirled and danced before she noticed Lewis and Simone. “Mama! Papa!” Then she noticed the kids and she began to clap with excitement as she ran over.

Jules was apprehensive and Corrine hid in Simone’s chest. “She won’t hurt you… Will you Ezili?”

“NO! My name is Ezili!” She got close enough to smile at them not having to bend over since they were in Simone’s arms.

“They are Jules and Corrine. They have had a long day… I’ll explain later.” They looked almost like they were going to pass out as Ezili helped Simone make a makeshift little nap area under a tent on what used to be their patio. “Here you go…”

The kids laid down and Simone tucked them in. “Can you stay with us?” Jules looked up at her.

“Yeah… Stay?” Corrine had her sleeve.

“Sure, as long as you want me here…” Simone looked at Lewis. Can you go get Xeik to look them over? I’m so worried about them.

FalseHope

Character Info
Name: Xeik Eraphim
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Divine Mender
Silver: 1379
Lewis was gone for only around ten minutes before he came back with Xeik and Mia in tow. Mia merely huffed as they walked underneath the tent. This was apparently one of the few times she had convinced Xeik to take a break from work, and now he was being dragged back into it by Lewis.

Xeik looked back at Mia, “Look, I promise I’ll give you double the amount of time. I’ve been…taking lessons from Raine.” There was a twinkle in his eyes as he said that. The rainbow phoenix may have been quirky, but she knew how to work fast equally as well as she knew how to fight. It was really impressive, and that had left Xeik with a surprising amount of free time. At first, it was used to catch up on old work, but now it was starting to get spent with Mia.

“All right, let’s see,” he said as he looked over the two kids. “Hiya, my name is Xeik. I’m a healer. Can you tell me your names?” The whole review took about thirty minutes, and despite their initial apprehension to Xeik, they seemed to warm up to the Divine Mender quite quick. There was just something about Xeik that was just so likable, and in the end he gave them each a small treat.

He pulled Simone aside, and with a much more serious tone, started to rattle off the issues. “Okay, so here’s the thing. They’re both severely underweight. That should be obvious. Corrine is showing signs of malnutrition. It looks like she has some wounds, and when I asked her, she couldn’t remember how long they had been there. Jules said something similar, but his wounds…came from his father. And about Jules…there’s a few heavy, mis healed fractures in his left arm. It can be fixed, but it’ll hurt if I do it. Angela might be able to do it painlessly, but who knows. Jules also seems to have issues in his lungs. It’s likely an easy remedy, but he’ll have to take it easy the first few years while taking medicines, so in the short term he won’t be able to do a lot of activity without risking asthma attacks.”

“Give it a few years of good treatment, and both of them should be fine growing up. However…” He paused. “Mentally…they’re both really struggling. Without sitting down and doing a full run of tests, I can’t say for sure, but they’re very…distant with everything. Corrine especially. It’s like she’s always in another world, and even when I have her full attention, she seemed like she wasn’t fully hearing what I was saying the first go around. I’m going to have to recommend therapy.”

Simone

Character Info
Simone nodded to Xeik and she put her finger under her chin, “Can you do it? With the other things can you see if Angela can spare him the pain? I’ll give her more feathers if she wants but I don’t want to see him suffer… though knowing her since he’s a kid…” The goddess was kind of like that.

She was worried about the kids and it showed, “If it wasn’t their mother being murdered in front of them it was the abuse they suffered by someone meant to protect and love them… They will be most difficult. Not that I am not willing. Like with Lucas, we will have to be patient with them.”

She brought Lucas over and explained the situation, “That sums it about up. If anything they are even worse than we got you. Do you think you can help me keep an eye on them? More so than the others… Especially Jules, his lungs are a problem and you know the other kids like to rough house. He can do it but just make sure… Watch his breathing.”

She came back over and knelt by them. She didn’t trust whatever family they had anymore, “Do you two want to come live with us? We live in a castle on an island.”

“Like.. a princess?” Corrine looked towards her but her eyes were sort of empty now that Simone was paying attention.

“Just like a princess…” She pet her hair and smiled towards Jules. “You’ll never have to worry about anything ever again. You don’t have to call us mother and father if you don’t want to but you will have ten brothers and sisters.” She looked up at Lucas and nodded to him. “Warm meals every day and bedtime kisses, hugs, and stories. Cuddle piles too if you like that.”

Looking over to Xeik she stood back up and let Lucas take over, “How long will it take before you are comfortable giving them therapy? And… And the medicine for Jules too.”

FalseHope

Character Info
Name: Xeik Eraphim
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Divine Mender
Silver: 1379
Despite everything that they had been through, the two kids seemed almost somewhat excited, given their current state. While Corrine seemed mostly okay with the idea, Jules was very skeptical. It was obvious to the three adults that the abuse he had suffered had left him jaded and disillusioned with the things he was told. Xeik and Lewis both knew the look with the way they had grown up. He might have had trauma, but he was more than willing to fight back and protect his sister at all cost.

“It’ll be safe,” Xeik said as he looked to Jules. “I give my word as a servant of the Goddess of Life and Love.” Both Jules and Corrine’s eyes widened, and for a moment it looked as though there was a light behind them.

“You know a goddess?” Corrine asked. “Princesses and goddesses…” She seemed almost starstruck.

“Well,” Jules said after a moment. “It…can’t hurt.” He looked at Lewis, “But if you try to hurt my sister, I’ll beat you up!” It was a pathetic threat, and one that carried little weight behind it, but if there was anything that Jules had, it was the will to protect his only sibling.

“I expect nothing less,” Lewis replied. There was a smirk across his face. “I can even teach you, if you want. I’ll teach you how to protect yourself and your sister.”

It only took them a few moments to round up their things to get ready to leave. Due to the rain, there wasn’t much else they could do involving the reconstruction, and soon they found themselves in front of a black flame portal from Simone.

“It’s safe,” Lewis promised as he stepped through, offering his hand to Jules. The boy hesitantly took it, and closed his eyes as he took his first step through.

“It’s…warm,” Jules said surprised. When he opened his eyes, he merely stared, his jaw dropping. “It’s….so big…”