Archive Home > Archives > 2016 Archives > The Nexus > Crossover (Solo)
Century

Character Info
Name: Mendean
Alignment: None
Race: Divine entity
Class: Lord of Chaos!
Silver: 2061

What…what is this? Where is this place?

You tell me, where do you think you are?

A dream?

Perhaps, but does that make it any less real?

I do not know. I never have known the answer to that question.

Tell me what happened. Perhaps together we can understand what has happened. Perhaps we can find an explanation.

Why can I not see you? Your voice is familiar. Do we know each other?

Truthfully? I do not know if we have met. I am hidden from you because I do not think you are ready to see me. Not yet, at least.

I think I understand. I have been in your position, at least in principle, many times. Very well, I will play this game.

Thank you. I am as eager to understand as you are. Now, please tell me what brought you to this moment?

I am a god. I was a god. Now I do not know. I lived on a world, but it was broken. There was a war. No, there were many wars. I withdrew. I could see the cracks. Neglect by the creator, perhaps? I do not know. The creator never answered. I do not think the creator cared. But that is often the case, is it not?

Creators can be fickle.

Hahah, yes. Yes they can. I had so much power, but it was limited and no matter what I tried, the world began to slip from my fingers. I changed things, tried to fix things, but the problem was too big. Too immense. And not all the gods shared my views. Some even worked against me in secret. I do not blame them for that, but I do blame them for their foolishness when they denied there was even a problem. I take some comfort in having been correct, but now I am here, I wonder if even that small victory was worth it.

We have all been there. So what happened to your world?

It fell apart. I left, brought my brothers and sisters and loved ones with me. We found a stress point and used it to open a portal elsewhere. It's an old trick of my father's.

Your father? Is he -

He died several years ago. Why, did you know him?

Not exactly. But he was known to me. It…it is complicated. I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you. Wait. Where are those I brought with me? There were over a hundred people. Probably many more. I left the portal open in the hope others would follow.

They are safe. Scattered, but safe. Your journey was a risky one. You did not know where you were headed. You could have ended up nowhere at all.

The alternative was to remain and die. It was a calculated risk. We had nothing to lose. But I had an idea where we would end up. I have an idea where I am right now. I have an idea who you are too.

Yes. That does not surprise me. Very well, I think it is time to reveal myself. I am over here.

Of course. It makes sense that I would find you here. This is a Nexus, isn't it?

It is. But we cannot both be here at the same time. Your world has shattered. What remains has gone spinning off into the void. You are out of place and time, and my world has also been affected by the same forces. I have been observing it for some time, but we have been collectively working towards a solution. I am sorry for the fate of your world, but it has been a lesson to us.

What do you mean by we cannot both be here at the same time?

The universe will not allow it for very long. Stresses and cracks will open up, just as they did in your world. We are safe here in the Nexus, for it is a fluid place. It is many places, in one. But the moment you leave, damage will occur.

We cannot remain here forever. Do you want us to leave?

I…no. There is nowhere for you to go. Nowhere safe. Besides, fragments of your world and others have already contaminated my world. By keeping you here I am only slowing down the destruction of my home.

I know that look. You have a solution. But you do not know if I would agree. Your own sacrifice would be great as well, which is making you hesitate.

Yes.

But you are also resigned to it.

Yes.

We have to merge, don't we? We have to lose a part of ourselves in order to survive, as one.

Yes. But we will not lose who we are. We will combine and become something more. Both sets of memories, fusing to become one. The alternative would be worse.

I am sorry that I have put you in this position.

It is not your fault. You are only doing what must be done to survive. In your position, I like to think I would have done the same.

I sincerely hope that you never find yourself in my position.

That is an academic hypothesis that we no longer need to concern ourselves with. Besides, this is our only hope to save my world from the same fate as your own. Now, take my hand.

Wait. Do you think father knew this would happen? That this is somehow a factor in his long-term plans?

Hah! It would not surprise me in the slightest.

Me neither. Is this going to hurt?

Probably. Probably a lot.

I thought as much.

God Abilities:

Can warp reality around him, so that the environment will begin to resemble his dream-like realm.

May enter and manipulate the dreams of others.

You cannot know Mendean for who or what he is unless he allows it. Even your memories will be altered to disguise his identity, unless he does not wish it. Even his aura is too widely spread for you to see.